Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

permission to hope...

Somewhere along the way in my growing up... I became a pessimist... one of those always waiting for the other shoe to drop... proverbially speaking...

Whatever the reason... a book has caused me to look at that aspect of my inner life... my fear of joy and hope... fear of disappointment...

Without reckoning with our emotions... our pasts... our hurts... the writer says we cannot live wholeheartedly...
One of the truisms of wholehearted living is You either walk into your story and own your truth, or you live outside of your story, hustling for your worthiness. Walking into a story about falling down can feel like being swallowed whole by emotion. Our bodies often respond before our conscious minds, and they are hardwired to protect --- to run or to fight.
---Brené Brown, PhD, LMSW, Rising Strong
In response to the hard knocks of life... I've chosen to beat myself up... stay down... rather than give someone... or something... the pleasure of doing it for me...

Therefore... I find myself denying myself... joy... and... hope...

Dr. Brown goes on to say... we either reckon with emotions or off-load them in varied unhealthy ways...
So how do we reckon with emotion rather than off-load it? What I've learned from the research and tried to put into practice in my own life sounds way simpler than it is: Give yourself permission to feel emotion, get curious about it, pay attention to it, and practice. This work takes practice. Awkward, uncomfortable practice.
---BrenĂ© Brown, PhD, LMSW, Rising Strong
Today... I wrote my first permission slip... and to make the whole process even more uncomfortable... I'm sharing my attempt here with you...!


Self: You have permission to be joyful & optimistic today! 

The book is secular... but truth is truth... and it all belongs to God...

Emphasizing the truth... I added Scripture to validate the permission...

For hope does not disappoint us because God
has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit
whom He has given us.
Romans 5:5

He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all,
how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?
Romans 8:32

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances,
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I carried permission to hope around with me today...
it made a difference having it near... reminded me of truth...
of reckoning I need to do... from past falls...

Moving toward rising strong...
one awkward step... at... a... time...

Do you have emotions you need to reckon with...?

Emotions effect our hearts... 
the combination of our minds... wills... emotions...
they are the well-spring of life...

Join me in asking God to reveal... and guide... in dealing with the reckoning...

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.
Proverbs 4:23

No comments:

Post a Comment