Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

what's a friend...?

A word for the year... obedience... continues to teach...

Through this word... I've come to realize... the world has skewed my definition of friend... worked its way into the subconscious realm...

In the receiving of the word... obedience... God led me to a Word that defines...

And this is love:
that we walk in obedience
to his commands.
2 John 1:6

He followed it with...

A friend loves at all times...
Proverbs 17:17

...and a call to wear a charm that reads the same... a blessing confirming... that I am His friend... and He mine... through acts of obedience... acts of love...

However... the Spirit... He has revealed... a flaw... a brokenness... in my understanding... of... friend... 

Not an understanding I adhere to consciously... but one... that the world... culture... has woven into my heart... mind... will... emotion...

As I began to become comfortable with being God's friend... and considering Him my Friend... my obedience... my striving... exercising... ears-tuned-into His call... has relaxed... 

I believe the Spirit has told me... I'm not such a great friend lately... at least not to Him... mind wandering... and perhaps a hint of complacency... in my relationship with Him... after all... He's a friend...

The emotional struggles of the past few weeks... a warning...

As He brought this thought to mind... I could see it... this definition of friend... one that let's you get by... get away with... overlooks discrepancies... in judgment... words... actions...

Friends... according to the world... help you cover up... go along with... lies... cheating... stealing... even join you... steal for you... lie for you... sin with you... i.e.... friends with benefits... really!... 

Somewhere in my mind... I've believed God would cut me some slack... I'm not talking grace here... that's the cheap kind... I'm talking... overlook slights... judge differently... because we're friends...

This attitude... is destructive... and ungodly... disrespects... diminishes... denigrates... His sacrifice... the sending of Son... the beating... the spitting... the nail piercing... of His only Son... for the forgiveness of sin... mine... yours... the whole world's...!

Not to mention... denying His Holy Sovereignty... His role as Supreme Judge... the One whose throne's foundation is Righteousness... belittling the magnitude of His gift of grace... poured out in all His infinite power...!

This is NOT a friend... according to Him...

A friend... does not let you slide... 
A friend... is a True guide...

A friend speaks the truth in love... protects... from harm... doesn't let you get off track...

A friend is more concerned for you... than how you feel about them...

A Friend... is a Counselor... Advocate... Comforter... and when He brings the truth in love... revival... repentance... they follow... refreshing a soul...

But if the voice... comes with condemnation... guilt that shames... paralyzes... it's a sure sign... that it's not your Friend... but your enemy... the Accuser... who does not want you to move forward... he wants you to stay stuck... bound... condemned...

Jesus... our True Friend... He forgives... faithfully...

In Him... we have peace with the Father... and can freely receive His Counsel... with grace... and hearts prepared to turn...

Today... I added a charm... next to the one reminding me of obedience... it's a compass... one given by a true friend... several years ago... a charm that reminds... God is the one "True Guide"...


Whether you turn to the right or to the left, 
your ears will hear a voice behind you, 
saying, "This is the way; walk in it."
Isaiah 30:21

A Word... that deepens the understanding... of the word for the year... and cleanses... soul... and purifies... heart... just a little... bit... more...

Father God... thank You for revealing... this flaw... woven into my heart... now that it's in the Light... remove it fully... forgive me for cheapening our relationship... with hidden attitudes... thank You for Your patience... continue to grow me in grace... and knowledge... of You...

Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God!
Let your good Spirit lead me
on level ground!
Psalm 143:10 ESV


[Note: a fresh Quote du Jour has been served up...]

No comments:

Post a Comment