Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Thursday, January 31, 2013

a word for the year...

It began with an invitation from a friend... a practice she had heard on the radio last year... and it came back to mind near the start of this year...


Ask God to give you a word for the year... 
one on which to focus your spiritual growth... 

Unsure... whether the invitation was for me... I didn't pursue... but my friend... in the midst of ministry... and surrounded by sisters with words... she says... You're gonna get a word...!

So I surrendered... saying a silent prayer... God... if You have a word or me... for the year... I'll receive it... but make it clear...

Well... a word came... and He made it clear... the word...

OBEDIENCE

Whew... a heavy word... one that came with trepidation... and a shade of guilt... Have I not been obedient enough...? I have that much MORE to learn...?

I do strive... to be obedient... careful to listen... doing what I hear... even when it's hard... or weird... or seems senseless...

But I received it... OK... obedience...

Now each word... is to be attached to a Word... a scripture... that sets the tone for the word... and the year...

When I began to seek a verse... I could not recall any with the word "obedience"... I thought of "obey"... and "obedient"... so I began to doubt... if obedience was the word...

Finally... I went to my Logos... the Bible software with the complete concordance... and entered... obedience...

The final reference... it spoke... clearly...

2 John 6     And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. ...

The verse reminded me of a prayer... one I've prayed for a long time... prayed daily... at the beginning of my walk 19 years ago... Grow me to love You... with all my heart... mind... soul... and strength...

And here it was... obedience is love...

There was a necklace in my closet... one I bought 2 or 3 Christmases ago... a gift... never given... just last week I found it anew... while reorganizing my closet... it has a charm that reads... A friend loves at all times... and on the back... Proverbs 17:17...

As I contemplated the verse to complement my word... God spoke to my spirit... Go put on that necklace... I'm giving it to you...

My heart... it melted... this word I dreaded... thought might be a scolding... was actually an affirmation... You are My friend...

I cried... as this message sank in...

Obedience... it is a privilege... an act of friendship and love... to share with the Creator...

My whole view of obedience has changed... so often... it feels like a punishment... a discipline... but in reality... it is an invitation to friendship...

I look forward to what else I will learn... from my word-for-the-year... this world-view shift word... I know it will be hard... every friendship has its moments... but I'm excited... about what my Friend... has in store...

And the charm... it is written in the round... on a pewter ring... an "O"... for obedience...


No one can make this stuff up... it must be Him...

What about you...? 
Maybe He has a word for you... for the year...
Why don't you ask...? 
You might be surprised...

No comments:

Post a Comment