Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Sunday, July 21, 2013

self-deception...

I confess... I watched way too many hours of television yesterday... catching up on missed episodes of a crime drama...

But as I watched... (episode... after... episode... after episode...) a theme emerged... the reason so many were in so much trouble... albeit fictional... was self-deception...

I'm a law abiding citizen... protested the young woman picked up for questioning from her crack-addict boyfriend's apartment... herself shaking from withdrawal as she spoke...

I'm not a thief... I was just making ends meet till I got my break... insisted the young man who preyed on those who contacted him through an on-line dating service...

I'm a good mother... I'm a good mother... insisted the woman who helped her oldest son cover up the murder of her thirteen-year-old transgender son... murdered in a fit of rage... by his brother...

Not to mention the prostitute who referred to herself as... a professional conversationalist...

(Yes... I watched way too much TV... yesterday...)

After about the third episode... I realized... self-deception... is what keeps so many separated from their Savior... 

It is hard to admit... sin... failure... to meet up to your own ideal of self...

The human race... is masterful... at lying to itself...

To come near to God... enter His presence... there is no deceiving oneself... His Light shines bright... on the dark places in our lives... there is no hiding... but by His grace... in that bright... painful... realization... is the hope... the Savior... willing to wash it all away...

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:3
(emphasis added)

If we just agree... with what He reveals... recognize our need... for a Savior... confess each sin... He points out... He sets us free...

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just
and will forgive our sins and purify us
from all unrighteousness.
1John 1:9

This promise is followed by another truth...

If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar
and his word has no place in our lives.
1John 1:10

And this is exactly where many choose to stand... outside His Word... outside His grace... refusing life... and choosing... death... 

Yes... I watched way too much TV yesterday... but I'm not deceiving myself about it... and as always... He is faithful... even when I am not...

No comments:

Post a Comment