Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Monday, December 26, 2016

returned gifts...

I had some gifts returned yesterday...
though it was a surprise...
it wasn't a bad thing...

One gift returned was my flute...
the one I played in high school...

I'd given it to my nephew several years ago...
when he wanted to pursue the flute...

This semester... he graduated with a masters degree in music...
he owns his own superior flute now... and a piccolo...

Yesterday... in the kitchen he brought them down...
opened them up... and asked me to play...

I had no idea if I could...
and mostly I couldn't...

I also couldn't believe how much I'd forgotten...
fingerings... notes... and how to make a clear sound...

But he patiently coached...
reviewed keys and notes...
and for a bit... we played part of a Christmas carol...


The master's educated musician... encouraged me to take my flute...
the one he learned on... the one I had given him...
to re-learn to play...
a gift returned... with gratitude...

The musician's brother was there too...
who I hadn't seen in over a year...
not since he was married...

He too returned a gift...
one which also surprised...

When they arrived...
I gave them hugs...
expressed how good it was to see them...

Then later... when things were quiet...
he descended on me again...
with a big bear hug...
Sorry... it's just been so long...
he says... as we hug...
and in the background I hear his mom say...
He loves his Aunt Carol...

And I wonder at the hugs and the words...
never knowing... he felt such love for me...

Both returned gifts...
revealed an unknown impact...
I made on those I love...

The gifts I've offered over the years...
may have looked one-sided...
but somewhere along the way...
a shift was made...

Gifts of love... no matter how small...
are never wasted...
and one day...
when you least expect it...
they just might be returned...
in a good way...

...give, and it will be given to you. Good measure,
pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap.
For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you."
Luke 6:38 ESV

Have you had any returned gifts lately...?

No comments:

Post a Comment