Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Friday, March 14, 2014

hugging Jesus...

I confess... my attitude toward obedience has not always been great. A reflection of my feelings found reading Reliving the Passion:
Here comes Jesus, closer and closer to me. Ah, the closer he comes, the less I like it. His very existence threatens mine...
I've grown used to my way of life. I like familiarity. I know my place in society, my reputation, my rights and privileges, all of which are comfortable to me. I know what power I have and what responsibilities. I worked hard for these things and deserve to keep them. Behold, I am a person of some prominence --- small or large, it doesn't matter: I am! This is me. This is my identity.
But here comes Jesus... and all of this is threatened. 
--- Walter Wangerin Jr.
To come closer to Jesus is to change. Transform. Surrender. Die.

And [Jesus] said, "If anyone would come after me,
let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
For whoever would save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. ..."
Luke 9:23-24 ESV

It's hard to die to self. Daily.

A hard call... one that leads to discomfort... I usually receive with a heavy sigh... an Ugh!... and a pained expression. 

This I want to change. I want to see obedience in a brighter light. 

I know it's an invitation to intimacy... I know how I feel after completion... closer to Him... increased peace... and joy...

But in the midst of the struggle... discomfort... how do I receive dying to self with joyful acceptance...?

And it comes to me... anticipating an uncomfortable day...

Obedience is hugging Jesus!

An expression of love and intimacy... a warm hug.

Today... I'm hugging Jesus.

How can that not bring joy...?

And this is love:
that we walk in obedience to his commands.
2 John 6

No comments:

Post a Comment