Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

wondering... why returning to Him... in the evening... is hard...

I confess... in the pursuit of a regular... disciplined... evening offering of time to Him... I've failed...

Now... I knew it would be hard... and I would fail at some point... but it's made me wonder... Why is it so hard...? to return to Him... in the evening...?

Or maybe a better question is... Why has the morning offering... become such a blessing...?

A hymn from Sunday... causes me to ponder this question...

Morning has Broken... its last verse...

Praise with elation, praise every morning,
God's recreation of the new day!

And I see it... each morning... an opportunity to re-create a new day... an opportunity to start fresh...

The blessing of a do-over each day... drives me to sit with Him... seeking... praising...

Approaching Him... each morning with an anticipation... fresh... like coffee... warming up to Him... awakening with Him...

So what... about the evening... is so hard...? What attitude should I take toward Him in the evening...? What desires... do I have... at the end of the day...?

This morning... in the fresh... looking back on the failure... and a lame effort at an offering last evening... I see my greatest desire at the end of the day... is... rest...

Just as He re-creates each new day... resurrects us from sleep... to new life... He also offers rest...

"... Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest. ..." --- Jesus
Matthew 11:28 ESV

To cease from work... and rest in Him... here is the attitude... the stance... the approach... to take toward the evening offering...

Giving Him... each failure... and victory... from the day...

Receiving... forgiveness... and grace...

Recognizing... Him at work... in all of it...

So I might... rest...

Today... my attitude toward the evening offering... will be seeking rest... at the end of the day... even when there may still be work to do...

Lord... help me to develop an attitude... of anticipation... 
for the evening offering... of time to You...
You invite me... to rest... in You... 
and that is what I desire... at the end of each day...
You are... my... Rest...

The prayer... to begin... an evening offering...

Return, O my soul, to your rest;
for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.
Psalm 116:7 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment