Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

echoes... of easter thoughts...

The heart... of Easter thoughts... echoed today... in my reading... and my radio...

What does it mean... to be a true follower... to be Church...? How do you know... if you're really... still in the dark...?

My morning treadmill read...
I want this to come across as more of a challenge than a criticism, but I'm afraid we've turned church into a spectator sport. Too many of us are content with letting a spiritual leader seek God for us. Like the Israelites, we want Moses to climb the mountain for us. After all, it is much easier to let someone else pray for us or study for us. So the church unintentionally fosters a subtle form of spiritual codependency. ...
But do you really think God's ultimate dream for your life is to see you sit in a pew for ninety minutes every week listening to a message and singing a few songs? Is that the barometer of spiritual maturity? No way!
---Mark Batterson, Wild Goose Chase

And if he says this about those who come most Sundays... What about those who just come Easter...? 

Then later... from the car radio...
It is the common experience of men and women all across this land to go to church regularly every Sunday, and for all intents and purposes, the Book of the Law might as well be lost for they never open it...
---David Jeremiah, Turning Point, 4/2/2013, "Courage to Say No" 

These thoughts from others... echoing mine... usually come... as confirmation... of what I've heard... From years of listening...things in threes... they catch my attention... 

I'm reminded of a sticky note... kept on my desk... for months... years... I can't really remember how long... its faded words... from a book... a question... that struck a cord... one that has stirred my heart... caused holy discontent... on more than one occasion...

And how in the world do you begin to show people who already consider themselves Christians what it really means to follow Christ?
---Jim Walker, Dirty Word

It strikes a cord... because... I WAS ONE... who believed I was... when I wasn't... 

Only I was above the religious... believing without church attendance... without opening the Word... and rarely praying...

I know... now that I know... that I wasn't... and the thought it strikes fear in my heart that... if before I was... I had to face Him... I would certainly have heard...


The fear... it is for others too... who deceive themselves...

So... it may be time... to listen anew... stir things up... in church... 

Always... a dangerous... risky... business...

Just ask... Jesus...

"...Remember the words I spoke to you:
 'No servant is greater than his master.'
 If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. 
If they obeyed my teaching they will obey yours also. ..."
---Jesus
John 15:20

A thought... that tightens my chest... with twinges of fear... especially... considering... past experience... and the timing... of this message...

Then [Jesus] called the crowd to him along with his disciples
 and said: "If anyone would come after me, 
he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, 
but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. ..."
Mark 8:34-35

But the final commission... given by Him... to His disciples... was ... make more disciples... not spectators... and the business... of making disciples... out of church-goers... can be risky...

Lord... I'm willing... just make it clear... each step You want me to take... I want no part of this to be me... only You...

No comments:

Post a Comment