Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Thursday, April 11, 2013

an unexpected lesson...

The past several weeks... I have been mentoring a student preparing for confirmation... one of the sixth graders from Bible study...

Yesterday's lesson... baptism...
The suggested Session Starter...
Meet by the water, any water. Talk about water and wonder together why God chose water for this important event.
In preparation... I considered... Why...water...?
What came to mind was the three states of water that we come across each day... water... ice... and steam...

It struck me... three in one... a picture of the Trinity... one substance... three states... One God... three Persons...
Steam... Father God... spirit... invisible...
Ice... the Son... the Word made flesh... solid...
Water... Holy Spirit... streams of Living Water...
Therefore water makes a perfect substance for baptism...


With a plan in place... I gathered three glass cups... filled one with ice... one with water... and the third... empty... I had filled a thermos with hot water... hoping that when it was poured... there would at least be some heavy condensation... a visual... to make an impact... but as I poured... it was clearly a bust... we put a hand over and could feel the heat... but other than that... it wasn't really what I had in mind...

As I reflect today... it occurs to me... 

It's hard to capture steam... 
and... it's hard to capture God...

He doesn't fit in a box... and He's hard to get a handle on...

He's the One who is omnipresent...
yet unseen...

He is the Lion...
and the Lamb...

The Servant King...

The sinless One...
who died for sins...

The Righteous Judge... 
who bore the punishment...

He is an oxymoron...
revealing His greatest strength...
through weakness...

As soon as we think we have Him figured out... 

There is no... capturing... God...

But I'm... Oh... so... grateful... He captured me...

This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
1 John 4:10 NIV

An unexpected lesson for the mentor... and a reminder... of my... First... Love...

Father God... I praise You as the Mystery and Wonder that You are... Thank You anew... for capturing my heart... for loving me... that I might love You...

No comments:

Post a Comment