Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Monday, November 14, 2011

Psalm 119: Mem

We continue to make our way through the long buffet table of Psalm 119 with the letter Mem. It holds the thirteenth place in the Hebrew alphabet and is the beginning letter of each line in the thirteenth stanza.

Read Psalm 119:97-104

Mem is for from... more or less.

Again, with difficulties in translation,  again with a small preposition, I offer this serving on Jeremiah's Menu. In Hebrew, this small word is attached directly to another word in order to enhance it's meaning in one of multiple ways. Again, I attempt to choose one word. Again, I chose the word that best fits the meaning blended into the translations. Again, I'm giving true linguists a twitch...

From a function word that indicates: a starting point (I came here from the city), a separation (the umbrella provided protection from the sun), or the source (this definition came from Merriam-Webster's).

Our psalmist-friend credits his study and practice of God's Word for his distinction from a variety of people:

Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
for they are ever with me.

I have more insight than my teachers,
for I meditate on your statutes.

I have more understanding than my elders,
for I obey your precepts.

God's Word distinguishes us from the pack if we will study it and practice it.

Embracing Scripture and living it keeps us on the straight and narrow.

I have kept my feet from every evil path
so that I might obey your word.

Our teaching comes from God, therefore we know it's trustworthy.

I have not departed from your laws,
for you yourself have taught me.

Joy, pleasure, understanding and discretion are all benefits we gain from eating the Word and making it flesh in our lives...

Oh, how I love your law!
I meditate on it all day long.
...
How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
I gain understanding from your precepts;
therefore I hate every wrong path.
Psalm 119:97, 103-104


What do you gain from God's Word?

No comments:

Post a Comment