Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Monday, November 7, 2011

a weary walk of strength

It's ironic that this blog is about eating freely of God's Word, it's about the only thing I can eat freely.

A year ago, I was diagnosed as "glucose intolerant" -- basically type 2 diabetes controlled with diet and exercise. Totally unexpected -- no family history, no risk factors. Like the Israelites, I was led into the desert on a wilderness walk. 

The Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt. My early diagnosis freed me from the debilitating effects of a "silent" disease. Overnight, the Israelites lives changed. Overnight, my lifestyle changed.

Freedom for the Israelites meant walking in the wilderness. Interesting to notice their primary complaints revolved around food.

"If only we had died by the Lord's hand in Egypt!
There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food
we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert
to starve this entire assembly to death."
Exodus 16:3

God faithfully provided manna from heaven.
But that wasn't enough...

The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, "If only we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost -- also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!"
Numbers 11:4-5

Yes, it gets old eating the same thing over and over.
Yes, walking in the wilderness makes one weary.
I totally relate to the Israelites wailing and grumbling.
Recently, I have just felt weary... tired of paying attention to what I eat, tired of being diligent about exercise, tired of being different... whaa... whaa... whaa...

But I'm reminded today that there is a cost to freedom, whether it's physical or spiritual, and it's worth it. I'm also reminded that I'm not in it alone or am I even intended to accomplish it in my own strength.

The Israelites' failure was found in their desire to return to slavery to meet their needs rather than trust God to guide them and prepare them for the Promised Land.

Yes, I get weary. I have no strength, no power to stay committed to the lifestyle that sets me free.

But He said to me "My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses,
so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2Corinthians 12:9

God is sovereign. He has a plan and purpose in all He allows. We may not understand whatever it is we are facing, but we can rest in the Truth that He is sufficient if we will surrender:

I can't but You can!

That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults,
in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.
For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2Corinthians 12:10

In what weakness do you need to delight in order to be strong? 

No comments:

Post a Comment