Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Monday, October 17, 2011

Dinner Conversation: reluctance

My current treadmill book is Chasing Daylight by Erwin McManus. This morning, I read the story of Dave the UPS man who was invited to a wedding -- the wedding of a gas station attendant on his delivery route, Ron, a man he hardly knew. For weeks he tried to figure out how to say "no" to the invite, but in the end he reluctantly attended.

I began to contemplate the invitations I receive with reluctance...heel's dug in kind of reluctance.

Most come from the one I call Lord: Jesus. My shameful confession: I'm rarely overjoyed by His invitations. He calls me out of my comfort zone, to do and be things I cannot be on my own. Become vulnerable. Risk rejection and failure. Take steps of faith.

Dave discovered at the wedding reception that the groom considered him his best friend. Out of 150 invitations that Ron gave to family, friends, and coworkers, Dave was the only one who came on his behalf.

My heart became convicted. My Lord, my Friend, the One who loves me enough to die for me, invites me and I frantically look for excuses and stall in giving my answer.

"A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.' But they all alike began to make excuses. ..." Luke 14:16-18

I no longer want to begrudgingly obey. Change my heart, Lord. Give me new eyes to see Your invitations as a sign of Your love and friendship, not as work or as a test, but as an invitation to the wedding of my Best Friend.

Then the angel said to me, "Write: 'Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!'" And he added, "These are the true words of God."
Revelation 19:9

No comments:

Post a Comment