Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Monday, October 24, 2011

Dinner Conversation: the importance of introductions

Yesterday, at church, I said "hello" to a man walking with his 4 year old daughter. I called him by name.
I then said "hello" to his daughter -- calling her by name.
She looked up at me with a hard expression... one of defiance or perhaps suspiscion ... and asked in a voice that echoed her face: how do you know my name?

Since the day she was born, I knew her name -- I know her parents -- but we had never been formally introduced. She took offense.

To realize that there are people who know your name whom you know nothing about can be intimidating -- a truth that shakes your perception of reality.

God knows our name before we know He is...

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:15, 16

Those of us who know Him, do we have a responsibility to formally introduce Him to those who don't?
Would it help pave the way for relationship? Make it less offensive when He does call them by name?
Maybe...

And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you,
O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.
Sing praises to the Lord, who sits enthroned in Zion!
Tell among the peoples his deeds!
Psalm 9:10, 11 (ESV)

Who do you need to formally introduce to the One who knows their name?

No comments:

Post a Comment