Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Friday, March 13, 2015

Romans 8... day 18...

...and if children, then heirs ---
heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ,
provided we suffer with him
in order that we may also be glorified with him.
Romans 8:17 ESV

As children of God... we are heirs of God... and fellow heirs with Christ...

But there is a painful proviso... stuck in the middle of this verse...

...provided we suffer with him... 

...then we are heirs...

I remember a time in my late teens... I was listening to a young woman who was really fired up about the whole Christ thing... following Him... really looking forward to His return...

At the time... I didn't know a lot about Him... really had no relationship with Him... but what I did know... was where He ended up... and what was happening when He returned...

It was clear to me... to follow Jesus... meant to end up crucified...
A painful walk... ending in execution...
Honestly... this was not a walk I really wanted to take...
count me out...

And as to His return...?
I knew there would be much blood shed... lots of death and destruction...
Again... not something I relished occurring...

To follow Christ is to suffer...
He tells us to count the cost...

But... what I've learned since then is... either way... in this world... we will suffer...!

"...In this world you will have trouble. ..."
---Jesus
John 16:33

We can suffer for the sake of suffering... or we can suffer for His glory...

He captured my heart... through my mom's suffering... 
her trust in Him... bringing Him glory... through her suffering...

Years later... I am so thankful for the loss of my mom... its timing... 
how He used it to capture my heart... transform my life...

I get it now...
the cost is worth it...

I see it...

Yes... we will have trouble in this world...
a truth He immediately follows up with...

"But take heart! I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

He suffered... so others may live...

This is the legacy He leaves...
the inheritance we become a part of...
through His suffering...

I pray you get it too...

There is no greater joy...
than recognizing His glory...
in your own suffering...

"... Whoever does not bear his own cross
and come after me cannot be my disciple. ..."
Luke 14:27 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment