Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

why i need Jesus... (and you do too...)

Why do I need Jesus...?

My obedience is not trustworthy...

It came like an epiphany this morning...

Reading more... on His work... and ours...
How do you beat sin? We beat sin only by pressing into Jesus, knowing Him, and chasing Him. There is grace upon grace to be had in Him. So much grace, you can't use it all up. If we broken people will come to Christ in faith, we will receive an infinite supply of grace. This is why we pursue Christ above all --- because He is more than enough. He will always be enough.
---Mark Chandler, To Live is Christ to Die is Gain
Our work... pursue Him in relationship... not in obedience...

I see that... and know that... 

My obedience comes from a place that longs to please...

But I've put too much stock in it... depended on it as a barometer... of my love for Him... His for me... how I'm doing with Him in relationship...

This morning... it's just so clear...

My obedience is not trustworthy...
His is...
He puts no stock in my obedience...
Only His...

His obedience alone... the basis of our relationship...
His obedience born out of love... 
Love for His Father... 
Love for His creation...

The call to obedience is purely about entering into relationship with Him... coming to know Him... in and through His Word... coming to know Him... through His continued work in the world... coming to know His ways...

There's freedom... in this epiphany... 
I'm a sinner... 
He knows it...
My obedience will continue to fall short... continue to fail...
He took care of that...
His acceptance of me... my salvation... His love for me... is not dependent on me...
It's all Him...

A simple message given Saturday... at worship... focused on communion...

He took the bread...
He blessed the bread...
He broke the bread...
He gave the bread...

The bread... Himself... 
He took the mission willingly...
He blessed His Father with obedience...
He allowed Himself to be broken... 
So He could be given... to a broken world...

He took... He blessed... He broke... He gave...

And I see how He took me... and you...
He blessed us in the choosing... even though we were already broken... 
He broke our bondage to sin...
So we might give Him our lives... for His use...

Not because we are great at obedience... not because we are trustworthy... not because He needs us... but because He is great at obedience... He is trustworthy... and we need Him...

Hallelujah...!

It is not about me... only Him...

Obedience... I'm going to stop counting on mine... no longer let failure put a veil between me and Him... no longer allow the enemy to accuse...

Because now I KNOW... my obedience is not trustworthy...

He's not counting on it... and neither am I...!

I obey... because I want to know Him...

Amen...

Christ has set us free to live a free life.
So take your stand! Never again let anyone
put a harness of slavery on you.
Galatians 5:1 Msg

No comments:

Post a Comment