Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Monday, February 10, 2014

processing... life...

Processing continues... causing distraction... and stirring up desires to live well...

Two books... one author... the reason for much of the food-processor activity in my thoughts...

N.D. Wilson... Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl... and... Death by Living...

Both have me desiring a new perspective... but... just like the processing... there are no tight... concise... quotes... found in either book which wrap up the feelings stirred...

The books themselves... a process...

Life... cosmos... turned upside down... the order of this world defines success as living life on your own terms... comfort good... pain bad... poor pitiful... rich enviable... avoid any unpleasantness...

But the Author of Life... He says... follow Me... lose your life for My sake... blessed are the poor... and those who mourn... take up your cross... undergo self-crucifixion... willingly...

This world-order... all out of order... according to the world... but to the Creator... this is the Way... to life eternal...

The Word... He said...

"...You will be sorrowful,
but your sorrow will turn to joy...."
John 16:20 ESV

This turning hinged... on His resurrection... here is where I want to live... NOW... not later... 

I've been sorrow-full... I'm ready for joy...

Here's a taste of the crazy... world-view of Wilson... and the living it out...

On exiting an international flight... his two-year old began vomiting on him as he carried him down the Jetway... his eldest son walking behind sympathy-puked... the puking continued... splattering a trail all the way to the concourse... he writes...
Holding one human fountain and dragging another, I commanded Rory not to watch his brother. It didn't matter. My oldest son polka-dotted that Jetway with pizza (imported from Seattle) at least every ten feet.
And I began to laugh. Hard. And very, very alone.
My wife and the girls were out. The crowd behind us diligently admired abstract space with glassy eyes. Dozens of business-traveling Brits attempted to erase us from existence with flat faces, but their Jedi tricks couldn't touch our hard reality.
We Wilson boys were there with flesh on, and we were hilarious. Two of us were throwing up. One of us was wheezing laughter beneath the spatter.
I laugh... hard... with him... and he goes on to share a lesson...
When faced with unpleasantness (trouble) there are only two ultimate responses (with many variations). On the one hand, "The Lord gives, the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord." On the other, "Curse God and die." Variations on the latter can include whining, moping, self-pity, apathy, or rage. Variations of the former can include laughter, song, retellings, and an energetic attack of obstacles.
---Death by Living
The former... that's the way I want to process life... but my default is the latter...

You will be sorrowful... 
but your sorrow... will turn to joy...

Because of the Resurrection... my sorrow... can be joy... NOW... because this world is NOT my home... I'm on a journey... and the Guide... He chooses the paths... the obstacles... to get me where I'm going... and to who I'm becoming...

To receive whatever comes... as from the hand of the Father... a loving Father... presenting a gift... to help me grow...

Sounds crazy... and again... easy to say... when not in the midst of trouble... sorrow... a storm...

But this is where... how... I want to live... joy-full... even... in... the throes of trouble...

Father God... You are the Taker and Giver of all good things... the One who works all things for good... help me to begin now... facing the little troubles... with the attitude of Your loving hand behind it all... so when the larger storms arise... I will be prepared... to trust You... the power of the Resurrection and the Life... to see me through... and turn... my sorrow... to joy...


[Note: A new Quote Du Jour has been posted... take a look just under Receive Jeremiah's Menu by Email... another small taste of N.D. Wilson... ]

No comments:

Post a Comment