Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

convicted... when it comes to hospitality...

This morning's treadmill read... convicted...
This is a living word --- keep listening. And continue to embrace this church with its profound gift of hospitality, where over and over and over again we are invited to the Table to eat and drink our Lord's life in the company of his friends. We are not used to this. To shopkeepers we are customers, to our physicians and counselors we are problems to be fixed. To the unscrupulous we are victims to be exploited. Otherwise, we are strangers to be avoided.
---Eugene Peterson, Practice Resurrection
These words of Peterson's describe the Church... as it is supposed to be... this church with its profound gift of hospitality...

The words convicting to me... an introvert... with pragmatic tendencies... strangers to be avoided...

How often have I taken intentional steps to avoid strangers... in church... in the neighborhood... extended family members... and most recently at an occasion I co-hosted...

Images of ladies whom I sent invitations... fill my head... faces I cannot connect to names... because instead of introducing myself... stepping forward to get to know another person... I avoided...

Letting fear of man rule... rather than the grace of God...
remaining self-centered... rather than other-centered...
practicing avoidance... rather than hospitality...

Yes... I'm the worst when it comes to connecting with others... but I know He's growing me in this area... because as He brings this to mind today... reveals my sin... the conviction comes with grace... and... peace...

Today I stand convicted... of avoiding those for whom He died... those created in His image... those who are or potentially are friends of His... who sit at His Table...

Lord... thank You for continuing to reveal
 what needs to change in me... thank You for Your grace and peace 
with which conviction comes...
Bless me with the faith and opportunities to practice hospitality... 

"This is my commandment, that you love one another
as I have loved you. ..." ---Jesus
John 15:12 ESV

Where have you been convicted today...?

No comments:

Post a Comment