Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Thursday, January 16, 2014

more resisting... the overwhelming...

And today... it's not schedules... not to-do's... that threaten my undoing... it's brokenness... not mine... but others'...

Pain... physical... and emotional...
relational... and spiritual...

Stories heard... in just the past 24... 36... hours...
failing health...
failing marriages...
children left behind...
promises broken...

They threaten... to overwhelm...

Wondering how to be like Him... Bethesda... House of Mercy...

Beside the pool... of the same name... Bethesda... He shows me that's who He is... as He heals the lame man... who had no one to help him in the healing water of the pool... the flowing water... everyone else... too busy with their own aches... to notice one lame for 38 years...!

Jesus shows me... He is the Living Water... the House of Mercy... who heals with a word... and I hear Him call... Follow Me... be the same... a house of mercy...

All I have to offer is prayer...

Me... an empty vessel... a fragile jar...
my own brokenness turning me into a sieve...

I bring them to Him... offer prayer... hope for the immediate... miraculous... healing... just like the man lame... just out of reach... from the pool named Bethesda...

But I'm not Him...

He calls me to be... a house of mercy... like Him... but I have no power... but what He gives...

My words... don't calm storms...
strengthen legs...
bind broken hearts...

My own heart breaks...

So... I pour out pray...
like the widow... before the judge...
hoping He'll hear...
hoping He'll pour out mercy...
hoping for the miracle...

And I wonder... Does it really make a difference...? if I pray...?

All I find... is an opportunity... to exercise faith... waiting in the not-yet... trusting in the why-not...

More choosing... to let Him overflow... rather than sink... beneath... the overwhelming...

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable
to show them that they should always pray
and not give up.
Luke 18:1

...pray without ceasing...
1 Thessalonians 5:17 ESV

Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion.
Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers
for all believers everywhere.
Ephesians 6:18 NLT

The end of all things is near.
Therefore be alert and of sober mind
so that you may pray.
1 Peter 4:7 NIV

But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith
and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves
in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ
that leads to eternal life.
Jude 20 ESV

Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation,
be constant in prayer.
Romans 12:12 ESV

Devote yourselves to prayer 
with an alert mind and a thankful heart.
Colossians 4:2 NLT

Lord... I choose... to trust You... to wait for You... 
I will not be overwhelmed... but will overflow... with prayer...

No comments:

Post a Comment