Develope a Palate

Develope a Palate
Daily intake of the Word nourishes the Spirit. Jeremiah's Menu is an exercise in recognizing God's Word made flesh in and around me. Eating the Word in a way that supplies the spiritual nutrients needed to grow. The Menu is offered with the hope of inspiring you to taste and see that the Lord is good. Bon Appetite!

Quote Du Jour

Quote du Jour
Christians may differ on a variety of points, but they have all one spiritual appetite; and if we cannot all feel alike, we can all feed alike on the bread of life sent down from heaven. At the table of fellowship with Jesus we are one bread and one cup. As the loving cup goes round we pledge one another heartily therein. Get nearer to Jesus, and you will find yourself linked more and more in spirit to all who are like yourself, supported by the same heavenly manna. ---Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

peace vs security

I read it a few days ago...

Peace is the opposite of security.
  
Bonhoeffer wrote it... I've been wrestling with it... as in... 

Is it true...?

It seems to me... that the two... peace and security... go hand-in-hand... 

Can you have one... without the other...?

Isn't it security... that ensures... peace...?

Over the last couple of days... I've tried to test this supposition of Bonhoeffer's...

And I've seen that... when I strive for security... I have no peace...

Not realizing... that for the most part... my focus is on the possibility of all that can go wrong... whether things will get messy... or expectations go unmet... trying to ensure that life goes smoothly... 

So when I focus on achieving security... my heart is constantly stirred... because He said... In this world you will have trouble... there is no security in this broken world...

Seeking security as a source of peace... is a sure-fire failure... as thirst-fulfilling as a mirage in the Sahara...

Maybe what Bonhoeffer says is true...
Peace is the opposite of security. Demanding security means having mistrust, and this mistrust gives birth again to war. Seeking security means wanting to protect oneself. Peace means giving oneself totally to the commandment of God, wanting no security.
---Dietrich Bonhoeffer, I Want to Live These Days with You
The war I birth... is one against God... my failure to accept His peace... finds its origin in a heart that mistrusts... the Prince of Peace...

The whole of what Jesus said about trouble in this world was...

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart!
I have overcome the world."
John 16:33
(emphasis added)

Giving oneself... totally... to the commandment of God... the Word... is to be in Him... where we are granted... peace... not security... but peace...

I think... maybe this is how Esther... said what she said... to her uncle Mordecai... 

"Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish."
Esther 4:16
(emphasis added)

There was no security in approaching the king uninvited... but in this place... of fully resting in the King... she had peace...

Another world-view wall to tackle... dismantle piece by piece... in my faulty thinking...

Lord Jesus... may I only seek peace... and not security... Amen...

No comments:

Post a Comment